Sunday, June 17, 2007

The Vacation that Wasn't

Vacation: a time to relax and enjoy yourself. No cooking or cleaning, not things I must do, no one to tell me when to eat and where to be. It was a nice dream.

I just recently returned from Hilton Head, South Carolina. And my non-vacation. Unfortunately I spent two days in my hotel room on my bed watching TV. The beach was only two blocks away, but it might as well as been a thousand. I never even saw it. Yep, the dreaded neck injury while I slept ocurred in the wee hours of Thursday morning. I'm talking about spasms and excruciating pain that kept me screaming whenever I moved the wrong way.

This was my first few days off since Christmas and I had such plans. I was going to sun and swim, read and draw, and just enjoy every moment with my daughter. Didn't happen. Didn't get to eat crab legs or drink beer, shop or read or draw or swim. But I did see the Hilton Head hospital and all the really nice people there. Got muscle relaxants and a sling to release the pressure on my neck.

There is a truism here that has been brought home to me. When you have your health, you truly have everything. I'm doing better and should be fine in enough time to go back to work on monday. Goody. Life is indeed a bitch sometimes.

No comments: